Roadhouse Games is looking for a senior server programmer to join our team. This programmer can expect to work on server solutions for wide range of mobile and web games, related technologies and tools, and operations tools in a fast paced and exciting environment.
The ideal candidate enjoys optimizing server logic, SQL routines and database configuration to squeeze the maximum performance out of a project’s database. An awareness of the wide range of web technologies/technologies and browser nuances is a must. Previous experience in the video game industry is desirable but not required.
- Be a “domain expert” with server related technologies such as Apache and mySQL.
- Contribute to the development of new game server infrastructure as required.
- Contribute to the maintenance and optimization of existing products as required.
- Mentor other server/database programmers.
- Design and implement systems that can handle large numbers of concurrent users with varying degrees of game play logic, database queries and user interactivity.
- Ensure that all code/scripts created are robust, maintainable, and meet or exceed established Roadhouse Games coding standards/conventions.
- Write clear and concise technical design documentation for all new features and systems in the appropriate medium (WIKI, Word Docs, etc.)
- Potentially gather and analyze developer/client/customer feedback, systems requirements, and incorporate them into technical designs for new features/systems.
- Collaborate with other team members to iterate on and refine existing systems/designs/code (including code reviews and peer programming).
- Offer solutions and workarounds/tradeoffs to management, developers, QA, partners, and potentially clients as required.
- Ensure that all time estimates/working hours are updated daily in our JIRA/GreenHopper database so that project management has accurate information.
- Identify and communicate technical problems/limitations and any potential solutions/tradeoffs to management.
- Identify tasks or procedures that can be automated and/or stream lined to reduce errors and contain operating costs.
- Be available for potential travel to partner locations.
- Other duties as required by Roadhouse management.
- 7+ Years of relevant experience in a live operational environment.
- Experience working with solution providers such as Google App Engine, Heroku, Parse, etc. and a deep understanding of how to optimize designs (parallelism, load balancing, caching, etc.) to contain operational costs while not sacrificing the user experience.
- Experience with encryption/security techniques and technologies.
- Experience with the QA/staging/live management cycle and tradeoffs between performance and ease of server deployment/scalability.
- Experience optimizing mySQL performance via tuning values, table layouts, and engine choice (myISAM versus InnoDB and why/when you would choose one over the other).
- Previous experience working with one or more of the following languages/technologies/platforms: Apache, IIS, Java, Memcache, mySQL, MS SQL Server, ORM/Entity systems, PHP, Redis, REST/JSon, SOAP/WSDL, SQL, UNIX shell scripts (bash, C shell, etc.).
- Experience working with SCM systems in a team environment (Perforce or SVN).
- Ability to ramp up quickly on new technologies and engines as required by a particular project. As a small studio all programmers need to be flexible and will potentially have a wide range of responsibilities across multiple projects and technologies.
- Ability to work in a truly agile fashion and be prepared to change priorities (features, project, and platform) as required. This can potentially mean multi-tasking across several projects as we launch titles, start new projects or fix critical bugs on existing products.
- Ability to evaluate complex requirements, break them down into meaningful tasks and give accurate time estimates for project management.
- Able to deliver and receive constructive criticism in a mature manor.
- Work with project management to schedule tasks, identify high risk items, and prioritize dependencies.
- Hold a valid passport for business related travel outside of Canada.
- Play and understand the mechanics of social/mobile/web games.
- Previous experience in the video games industry.
- Previous experience with MMO server
- Personal programming (either games projects or other languages/technologies unrelated to games)
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in Roadhouse Interactive.
Please apply by email, enclosing an up-to-date CV